Officers shoot and kill Wasilla man during standoff

Officers shot and killed a man during a standoff Friday afternoon at a home in Wasilla, said Alaska State Troopers.

Troopers say 63-year-old Jimmie Janeway pointed a gun at officers who were attempting to arrest him on probable cause of second-degree sexual assault and second-degree sexual abuse of a minor.

Troopers with the department’s Child Abuse Investigation Unit had arrived at the Wasilla home around 1:45 p.m. Friday, according to a troopers’ statement. Troopers spokesman Tim DeSpain said the home was near North Wasilla Fishhook Road and East Snohomish Avenue.

“When investigators knocked on the door, Janeway answered the door with a gun to his head and stated he would not go to jail,” troopers said. “He refused to drop the gun and investigators attempted negotiations without success.”

Around 2:50 p.m., troopers and Wasilla Police Department officers tried to arrest Janeway using a Taser and “less-lethal force,” which DeSpain said included firing beanbag rounds.

“The less-lethal tools had limited effect and Janeway pointed the gun in the direction of law enforcement on scene,” said troopers. “At that time, on scene law enforcement discharged their firearms striking Janeway.”

Troopers say medics on scene attempted to treat Janeway but he died from his injuries.

Troopers on Monday named the three officers who opened fire on Janeway: Alaska State Trooper Sgt. Matt Sidders and Wasilla Police Department officers David Burtch and Sawyer Skiba.

The Alaska Bureau of Investigation is examining the circumstances of the shooting. Janeway’s family has been notified, troopers said.

Editor’s note: This story was updated Monday, Sept. 6, with the names of the officers who fired their guns at Jimmie Janeway.

Chris Klint is a web producer and breaking news reporter at Alaska Public Media. Reach him at Read more about Chris here.

Previous articleAlaska News Nightly: Friday, September 2, 2022
Next articlePalin, Begich both stay in general-election House race after special-election loss