Growing up to become an addict is never part of anyone’s plan. Yet, it is estimated that 1 in 5 Americans grow up in a family struggling with addiction. Despite witnessing firsthand, children who grow up around substance abuse often go on to experience addiction, dysfunctional relationships, and mental health problems as adults themselves.
What are the emotional impacts of growing up in addicted family systems? Why is it that people so often grow up to repeat the same behaviors that they swore they would never engage in? How do adult children of those experiencing addiction heal and learn to develop healthy intimate relationships?
On Line One, bestselling author and addiction expert Dr. Claudia Black joins us to discuss the impacts of growing up with addiction and to help identify the steps people can take to heal from these challenging home environments.
HOST: Prentiss Pemberton
Guest: Dr. Claudia Black, addiction author, speaker, and trainer
- Huff Post article on the lasting impacts of growing up around addiction
- A summary in Psych Central of trauma experienced by those growing up around substance abuse
- A Psychology Today piece on the affects of alcoholism on children later in life
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (10:00 – 11:00am)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, at 10:00 a.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, December 2, 2020, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
LINE ONE’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic offer extensive health information libraries
- MedlinePlus has a guide to finding reliable health information on the internet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: