Davis Hovey, KNOM - Nome
Alice Bioff said her approach comes from her background as an Inupiaq woman living in Nome. “I was surrounded by women who sewed atikluks, qaspeqs. I was around that all my life,” she said.
Researchers and federal scientists still have no definitive explanation for the cause.
Some possible causes for late budding in berries include more precipitation when flowers bloom, which reduces pollination, an overall lack of pollinators, or sometimes animals and birds eat the berries during the winter.
The 2021 Iron Dog will start in two weeks, but with an adjusted route and new COVID-19 precautions.
Some survivors think law enforcement doesn’t prioritize these kinds of crimes, especially when the victims are Alaska Native.
As of Nov. 3, sea ice in the Bering and Chukchi Seas in is the lowest on record for the last five years, even with tiny bits of ice starting to form in Norton Bay and the Kotzebue Sound.
The trash included butane and penetrating oil.
According to the regional health corporation, his newest patient was tested as a close contact of the individual in Savoonga who was confirmed as a positive case on Sunday.
As cod populations have surged in the area, it appears that so far, they aren't staying there the whole winter.
This latest case is a resident of Unalakleet unlike the first one which was identified as a non-resident of the community over the weekend.
Most of the dead birds reported last month were murres and horned puffins.
One of the cases was in the community of Teller, population 237. Health authorities say they will offer additional testing for residents there.
Residents are only allowed to use two gallons of fuel per day due to a leaky fuel line and a fuel barge that didn't arrive last summer.
With limited person-to-person interaction hampering census effots, only about 17% of Nome's population has been counted.
The regional tribal consortium in Nome is hoping researchers will cancel trips.
It's the latest step in a 10-year, $500-million project.
The Norton Sound Regional Hospital closed down over the weekend after the first positive tested.