Breast Cancer affects one in eight women, and those who receive a diagnosis must quickly face decisions about treatment, surgery and even fertility. Health care navigators, breast coordinators and support groups can help with these decisions. On this Line One, host Dr. Jillian Woodruff hears a personal story from her guest, Angel Wallis, of self advocacy and the complications of navigating a breast cancer diagnosis.
This discussion focuses on Wallis’s personal journey through her diagnosis. Not everyone diagnosed with breast cancer has the same or as many treatment options due to the particular nature of each diagnosis.
HOST: Dr. Jillian Woodruff
- Angel Wallis, RN, BSN, Medical Surgical Unit at Providence Alaska Medical Center
- Women LISTEN | A support group for women who have experience cancer
- Breast Cancer Care | Providence
- Surgery decisions for women with breast cancer | National Cancer Institute
- Must-know breast cancer facts
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, at 10 a.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, October 25, 2023, at 8 p.m. AKDT
LINE ONE’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic offer extensive health information libraries
- MedlinePlus has a guide to finding reliable health information on the internet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
Get updates on Line One: Your Health Connection and other Alaska Public Media podcasts here.