Alaskans like to pack in as much fun as possible during our gloriously long summer days and extended bouts of backyard, beach, boat and campsite time is made all the better when you have a great book to relax with. Readers know how books create magical doorways into other worlds and other worldviews that enhance your imagination in ways that scrolling online will never match. If you want to stick to home grown books, Alaska has many great authors and a wide range of selections from thrillers to romance to science. We’ll talk with Alaska writers and librarians to hear about their book recommendations on this Talk of Alaska.
HOST: Lori Townsend
- Lily Tuzroyluke – Indigenous writer, author of Sivulliq: Ancestor
- Jamey Bradbury – Alaskan writer, author of The Wild Inside
- Meneka Thiru – Community engagement librarian, Anchorage Public Library
- Alaska Library Network
- Libby App – Free ebooks and audiobooks from your library
- Anchorage Public Library website
Authors and books mentioned during this show (plus a few extras):
- Jerry Flu
- The Dishonorable Dr. Cook: Debunking the Notorious McKinley Hoax by Bradford Washburn
- Sara Eliza Johnson
- Joseph Holt
- Daryl Farmer
- Gerri Brightwell
- Seth Kantner
- Tom Kizzia
- John Messick
- Marc Cameron
- Lolo Paige
- Writing on the Edge: An anthology of contemporary Alaska stories edited by David A. James
- Judy Ferguson
- Alaska Rough Diamonds by Rick Stanfield
- The Book of Timothy: The Devil, My Brother, and Me by Joan Nockels Wilson
- Stephanie Marie Thornton
- Andromeda Romano-Lax
- Wheels on Ice: Stories of Cycling in Alaska edited by Jessica Cherry and Frank Soos
- tender gravity by Marybeth Holleman
- Boreal Books
- Cirque Press Author Index
- Porphyry Press
- Marilyn Wheeless
- The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik
- Message Not Found by Dante Medema
- All the Colors We Will See by Patrice Gopo
- A Schoolteacher in Old Alaska: The Story of Hannah Breece by Jane Jacobs
- Forgotten Murders from Alaska’s Capital by Betsy Longenbaugh
Call 907-550-8422 (Anchorage) or 1-800-478-8255 (statewide) during the live broadcast.
Send an email to email@example.com (Comments may be read on air).
Post your comment during or after the live broadcast on social media (Comments may be read on air).
LIVE Broadcast: Tuesday, June 6 at 10 a.m. on Alaska public radio stations statewide.