Children in Alaska can be affected by unique pediatric endocrine disorders like rickets, precocious or delayed puberty, short stature, thyroid dysfunction and pituitary gland disorders. Many of these have lifelong effects and can be difficult to identify. Some of these disorders are diagnosed at a higher rate in Alaska than in the Lower 48. How do these disorders show up and what treatments are available?
HOST: Dr. Jillian Woodruff
Dr. Rachel Lescher, board certified Pediatric Endocrinologist, Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Information on what pediatric endocrinology is, what diseases we treat, and additional resources from the Pediatric Endocrine Society
- Know how much vitamin D is right for your family, with the updated information, from the Alaska Department of health.
Information on what conditions babies are often screened for within the first 24 hours after birth.
- Newborn Bloodspot Screening: Services – info on the Alaska Newborn Screening program, which screens for congenital endocrine diseases – congenital adrenal hyperplasia and congenital hypothyroidism
- Clinical Growth Charts Abnormalities in growth can lead to diagnoses of many health problems, including pediatric endocrine conditions. childhood growth charts; all infants, children, and adolescents should have their lengths/heights, weights, and BMIs plotted and monitored on growth charts at regular intervals.
Institute for Healthy Childhood Weight – American Academy of Pediatrics Institute for Healthy Childhood Weight resources and support
Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (10–11 a.m.).
Send an email to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air).
LIVE BROADCAST: Wednesday, August 24, 2022, at 10 a.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Wednesday, August 24, 2022, at 8 p.m. AKDT
LINE ONE’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic offer extensive health information libraries
- MedlinePlus has a guide to finding reliable health information on the internet
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: