On this edition of Justice Alaska on Hometown Alaska, the Anchorage Police Department’s Acting Chief Ken McCoy joins host Kathleen McCoy for a conversation on APD’s work in Anchorage and on modern policing, a public safety field that has come under increasing scrutiny as social media and video cameras have captured police at work.
Chief McCoy has served more than two decades with APD after joining in 1994. He is a longtime local, graduating from Bartlett High School before attending the New Mexico Military Institute. He served 10 years in the Alaska Army National Guard and retired in 1990 with the rank of captain. He has a bachelor’s degree in Justice from the University of Alaska Anchorage and a criminal justice certificate from the University of Virginia. He has graduated from several FBI training sessions.
He was named Acting Chief in April 2021 upon the retirement of former Chief Justin Doll. He had previously served as Deputy Chief of Operations for four years before that.
Listen to the episode of Hometown Alaska here:
HOST: Kathleen McCoy
- Acting Police Chief Ken McCoy, APD
- June 16, 2021, 6-8 p.m., Community Listening Session with Acting Chief Ken McCoy on body-worn camera policy, Bettye Davis East High School
- May 19, 2021, 6 p.m., Public Safety Advisory Commission meeting. See links for agenda and how to connect.
- APD website
- Public Safety Advisory Commission, muni.org website
- Public Safety Advisory Commission, next meeting May 19, 2021, 6 p.m. Agenda here. Link to join meeting here.
- Body Worn Camera, draft policy, February Public Safety Advisory Commission meeting, muni.org website
- Alaska ACLU suggestions on body worn camera policy, ACLU website
- Do Body Cams Make A Difference?, PBS Newshour, 6.20.2020
- Muni Press Release on Ken McCoy appointment as Acting Chief, bio info, Muni.org
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2 to 3 p.m.)
- Send e-mail to email@example.com before, during or after the live broadcast (E-mails may be read on air).
- Post your comment or question below (Comments may be read on air).
- LIVE: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 10 a.m.
- RE-AIR: Monday, May 17, 2021 at 8 p.m.
- PODCAST: Available on this page after the program.