It is the consensus of climate experts and 18 major American scientific associations that climate change and global warming is occurring at an unprecedented rate since the rise of humans and that it is due a “greenhouse” effect caused by a number of gases, the most important being man-made carbon dioxide. On this Line One program we discuss the potential health impacts of climate change in Alaska.
HOST: Dr. Thad Woodard
- Sarah Yoder, MS, works for the Alaska Department of Health and Social services as the acting Environmental Public Health Program manager. She is also responsible for managing Health Impact Assessment (HIA) activities within Alaska and is a co-lead for the Health & Well-being Collaboration Team in the Inter-agency Arctic Research Policy Committee (IARPC). Sarah received her bachelor’s and master’s degrees in environmental health and epidemiology from Colorado State University.
- Michael Brubaker, MS, specializes in assessing environmental impacts on community health. Mike was born in Juneau Alaska and raised in Anchorage. He earned his BS in Biology from St. Lawrence University and a MS in Environmental Management from the University of San Francisco. He has worked in the Alaska Tribal Health System for over 17 years as a founder and director of the Center for Climate and Health, and the Local Environmental Observer (LEO) Network. He publishes an e-journal, The Northern Climate Observer.
- State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin January 8, 2018 “Assessment of the Potential Health Impacts of Climate Change in Alaska” (PDF)
- The Center for Climate Change and Health at Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium
- Link to the 2 hour PBS NOVA program on causes, effects, solutions for climate change and global warming entitled “Decoding the Weather Machine”
- Call 550-8433 (Anchorage) or 1-888-353-5752 (statewide) during the live broadcast (2:00 – 3:00pm)
- Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org before, during or after the live broadcast (e-mails may be read on air)
- Post your comment or question below (comments may be read on air)
LIVE BROADCAST: Monday, April 30th, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. AKDT
REPEAT BROADCAST: Monday, April 30th, 2018, at 8:00 p.m. AKDT
DR. WOODARD’S FAVORITE HEALTH AND SCIENCE LINKS:
- This is a good site to start with, if you want to learn how to find reliable health information on the internet
- Mayo Clinic
- Cleveland Clinic
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Denying to the Grave: Why We Ignore Facts That Will Save Us
- American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology (ACAAI)
- Science Based Medicine
- Carl Sagan’s Baloney Detection Kit and common logical fallacies
- Michael Shermer’s suggestion for Baloney Detection: How to draw boundaries between science and pseudoscience
SUBSCRIBE: Get Line One: Your Health Connection updates automatically by: